Available Opening: Bend, OR
The MySQL Database Administrator is responsible for providing operational database services as well as project-level support to the organization. This DBA role requires a service-oriented mentality with a high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, the ability to focus on managing and resolving issues within SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
- Own high availability production database systems
- Work with infrastructure engineers, developers, and architects to troubleshoot issues, optimize performance, define and implement database best practices
- Review application data models and make recommendations for improving overall data architecture
- Provide data modeling solutions by designing and maintaining new logical and physical data models
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient SQL queries, code, and scripts
- Execute full lifecycle software development practices and standard operating procedure
- Interact with software engineering and DBA teams in order to understand their database requirements for new products or features
- Perform database administration tasks, including automation, performance monitoring, system tuning, and SQL query optimization
- Work with security and operations to manage access control to databases
- Monitor databases for problems and diagnose their origin
- Identify and resolve production application issues
- Plan and provide operational oversight in database maintenance with minimal impact to customers
- Plan detailed deployments with database and software engineers that use advanced techniques to minimize or eliminate downtime when making schema changes
- Participate in prototyping and proof of concept system development and benchmarking
- Evaluate the merits and benefits of potential systems enhancements to improve overall performance and address/meet evolving business requirements
- Evaluate new database technologies and tools to meet growing challenges
- Plan and implement backup and recovery strategies
- Diagnose and develop/recommend solutions to address system, software, security and other complex database issues
- Act as lead on technical projects
- Participate in code reviews, ensuring best practices are followed.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or foreign equivalent, in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of working with multiple RDBMS platforms such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.
- 5+ years of experience on Linux/Unix.
- 5+ years of experience SQL, Python, shell scripting, Perl and source code control
- 5+ years monitoring and data collection tools such as Nagios, Percona Tools, VividCortex
- 3+ years with key-value stores such as Memcached and Redis
- 3+ years of experience with System administration software such as Puppet or Chef
- Strong knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the software development field
- Ability to work effectively in a coordinating role across multiple disciplines with a collaborative work style and customer-service orientation and an ability to translate business goals into information management requirements
- Ability to produce clean, well-documented, efficient, and standards-compliant code – with an eye towards performance optimization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Cloud computing platforms, such as Azure, Amazon AWS
- Expertise on how operating systems work
- Experience and knowledgeable in clustering database systems
- Experience and knowledgeable in maintaining and setting up high availability systems
- Experience with Reporting/Visualization tools is a plus (Looker preferred).
- Experience with ETL tools and data warehouse concepts is a plus (Talend Preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross functional projects
- ServiceCentral respects the privacy of our employees, customers, and partners and is committed to protect information from internal and external threats. Information technology systems and data are valuable assets which are essential in supporting ServiceCentral’s strategic objectives. Effective information security management is critical in order to ensure the successful enablement and delivery of business functions and services. ServiceCentral is committed to preserving the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all physical and electronic assets.
- Annual performance bonus
- Generous paid time off policy
- Health Insurance and 401K
- Competitive Compensation
- Location: Bend, OR strongly preferred
Join our Team
We believe in creating teams with purpose and forging successful career paths as we grow. If you are a hungry, independent thinker who values people and community, we want you on our team.